Michael Alan Messner (*1952) is an American sociologist. His main areas of research are gender, (especially Men's studies) and sociology of sports.
He is head of the department of Sociology and Gender Studies at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
Messner has a Bachelor degree in Social Sciences and a Master's degree in sociology from California State University, Chico. He wrote his dissertation in sociology at the University of California, Berkeley, California about Masculinity and Sports: An Exploration of the Changing Meaning of Male Identity in the Lifecourse of the Athlete.
In the late 1970s, he started to deal with feminist theory and the construction of gender. He took part in one of the first ever classes about men and masculinity in the USA, held by Bob Blauner in Berkeley.
- Power at Play: Sports and the Problem of Masculinity, Beacon Press; Reissue edition 1995, ISBN 978-0-8070-4105-5
- Men's Lives (with Michael Kimmel). Macmillan, 1989, 1992, 1995, Allyn & Bacon 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007.
- Sport, Men, and the Gender Order: Critical Feminist Perspectives, (with Don F. Sabo) (eds.), Human Kinetics Publishers, 1990, ISBN 978-0-87322-281-5
- Sex, Violence and Power in Sports (with Donald F. Sabo), Crossing Press, 1994
- Politics of Masculinities: Men in Movements, Thousand Oaks 1997, ISBN 978-0-8039-5576-9
- Taking the Field: Women, Men, and Sports, University of Minnesota Press, 2002, ISBN 978-0-8166-3449-1
- (with McKay, Jim, Michael und Don Sabo) (eds.): Masculinities, Gender Relations, and Sport. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage (Research on Men and Masculinities Series, No. 13), 2000
- Out of Play: Critical Essays on Gender and Sport, State University of New York Press 2007, ISBN 978-7914-7172-2
- Paradoxes of Youth and Sport (with Margaret Gatz and Sandra Ball Rokeach, eds.) State University of New York Press, 2002, ISBN 0-7914-5324-3
- Gender Through the Prism of Difference, 3rd Ed. (with Maxine Baca Zinn and Pierrette Hondagneu-Sotelo, eds.), Oxford University Press, 2005
- Michael A. Messner (2007) "The Masculinity of the Governator: Muscle and Compassion in American Politics." Gender & Society 21: 461-481.
- Michael A. Messner & Nancy M. Solomon (2007) "Social Justice and Men's Interests: The Case of Title IX." Journal of Sport and Social Issues: 31: 162-178.
- Michael A. Messner, Margaret Carlisle Duncan & Nicole Willms (2006) "This Revolution is Not Being Televised." Contexts: Understanding People in Their Social Worlds 5: 34-38.
- Michael A. Messner & Jeffrey Montez de Oca (2005) "The Male Consumer as Loser: Beer and Liquor Ads in Mega Sports Media Events." Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 30: 1879-1909.
- Boyhood, Organized Sports and the Construction of Masculinities." Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 18:416-444. Pipher, Mary. 1994 ( short summary)
Index: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
This article is based on "Michael Messner" from the free encyclopedia Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org). It is licensed under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation Licencse. In the Wikipedia you can find a list of the authors by visiting the following address: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Michael+Messner&action=history