Sex in the Bible
Sex occurs frequently in the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament, with extensive laws regulating it.
- Ham's actions in Genesis 9:20-25, are debated upon because of the vagueness of the script, but some interpret it as Ham doing something sexual with his father, Noah, while Noah was passed out, drunk, in his tent.
- The sin of Onan (Genesis 38:7-9), which is often misinterpreted as masturbation, was coitus interruptus or withdrawal. He was also violating the duty of Yibbum. Onan was struck down and killed by God because he "spilt his seed upon the ground" while he had a duty to his wife to impregnate her.
- Exodus 20:14, as the seventh commandment, prohibits the act of adultery. "Thou shalt not commit adultery."
- Leviticus 18 lists several prohibitions concerning sex according to biblical rule .
- Deuteronomy 23:17-18 states the prohibition of prostitution. 17"(A)None of the daughters of Israel shall be a cult prostitute, (B)nor shall any of the sons of Israel be a cult prostitute. 18"You shall not bring the hire of a harlot or the wages of a [a](C)dog into the house of the LORD your God for any votive offering, for both of these are an abomination to the LORD your God. (New American Standard Bible)
- Second Samuel 11:3-5 describes David with Bathsheba and his act of adultery with her. "3 And David sent and enquired after the woman. And one said, 'Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?' 4 And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house. 5 And the woman conceived, and sent and told David, and said, 'I am with child'"
- Proverbs 5 shows how sexual sin causes scars and pain .
- Romans 1 shows that marriage is the only way to have biblical sex .
- states, "But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry."
Homosexuality in the Bible
Main article: The Bible and homosexuality
- Leviticus 18:22 God forbids homosexuality and its practices. "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."
- Leviticus 18:29 The penalty for homosexuality. "For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people."
- 1 Kings 14:24 God casts homosexuals out of the land .
- Romans 1:24-32 tells the story of how homosexuals turned from God .
- Biblical references to incest
- Circumcision in the Bible
- Akerly, Ben Edward, The X-Rated Bible: An Irreverent Survey of Sex in the Scriptures (American Atheist Press, 1985) ISBN 0-910309-19-1
- Smith, Morton H., Shorter Catechism of the Westminster Confession Standards, (Escondido, CA: Ephesians Four Group) 1999.
- Crosswalk.com was used for all the biblical citations.
Index: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
This article is based on "Sex in the Bible" from the free encyclopedia Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org). It is licensed under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation Licencse. In the Wikipedia you can find a list of the authors by visiting the following address: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sex+in+the+Bible&action=history